Get free consultancy

Visas for Australia

At ACE Australia we are experts in the field, and we will guide you through each step of the process to help you identify which Visa is ideal for you. Always relying on the official information provided by the Department of Home Affairs, the path to a Visa begins here!

Official Site

What is a Visa and why do I need one?

A Visa is a document issued by a country – in this case Australia – that allows a foreign person – you – to enter its territory to study, work or simply for a visit, be it for tourism, events, conferences or others. Each Visa has a duration framework, fees and specific characteristics both in its requirements and its actions in the country of destination. When applying for a Visa, several factors come into consideration that will make the Visa application successful. Each person with their academic, professional and personal profile is a particular project. It will be important to consider every detail to define the best way forward before the Department of Home Affairs, which is the Australian Government Entity that receives all Visa applications from foreigners.

Visa Types
Student Visa
Graduate Visa
Work & Holiday Visa
Skilled Visa
Sponsor Visa

Student Visa

As its name indicates, this Visa will allow you to undertake academic-professional studies in the great Australian Education system, while you continue your professional career. The Student Visa allows you to work in Australia from the moment you start your academic Qualification. In Australia, it is the Visa that opens the most doors and opportunities to the country. This Visa allows you to undertake academic programs of 16 weeks duration (for example, English studies) and others of higher academic hierarchy such as Vocational Studies (VET), a Bachelor’s Degree, a Master’s or a PhD. Once the academic plan is finished, this Visa allows you to stay in Australia between 1-3.5 more months, exercising your profession, travelling around the country and extending to your next personal plan in Australia.

The Student Visa is the visa that grants the greatest career projection in Australia, this is thanks to the paths or “pathways” granted by the Australian Educational System together with the visa program of the Department of Home Affairs.

A possible scenario would be, for example, going to Australia to study for a Master’s degree that allows you to further develop certain skills in your profession. Perhaps, the level of English required by the educational institution is not adequate, therefore this path could be followed in two stages: a first where the required level of English could be acquired by studying an ELICOS Qualification (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) and then in a second stage to study the Master’s degree.

Another scenario would be, for example, if you are in Australia with a Visitor Visa or Work and Holidays Visa, and you want to take a step forward in your professional and career development, you can opt for a Student Visa to study and perfect those professional skills you want. or are related to your current career. Then, once you finish your studies and want to extend your stay in Australia, the Department of Home Affairs has another visa called the Temporary Graduate Visa that you can apply for. In the next type of visa, we will be explaining more about the Temporary Graduate Visa.

Useful Information:

  • Student Visa Fee: $630 AUD
  • Nationality: the requirements to obtain a Student Visa may differ depending on the nationality or personal profile of the applicant; That’s why it’s critical to thoroughly research each situation and prepare a solid application. At ACE Australia we are education agents accredited with the Department of Home Affairs and we will guide you through the process so that your application is flawless regarding all the essential requirements to be met at the time of making the Student Visa Application.
  • English level: if you come to study an English course (ELICOS) you will not need to accredit any level. This is because if you want to study General English you will not need to prove your level of English because you will be able to start your English studies from your current level. In this case, the educational institution will evaluate your current level of English with a Leveling Test or Placement Test. If you come with the intention of studying a vocational course (VET or TAFE), you must have at least an Upper Intermediate level of English. You can take the IELTS with an overall score of 5.5 or an equivalent international exam as a reference. Then, if you wish to study a Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree or PhD, you must demonstrate an English level of IELTS overall score 6.5 or equivalent to meet this requirement.
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE):This is one of the most important requirements for the Student Visa. It consists of showing that one is a genuine and temporary student according to the standards of the Department of Home Affairs of Australia. It involves proving that one is coming to or extending one’s stay in Australia for the primary purpose of studying. To prove this, one must explain in a personal letter, among other things, why he chooses Australia as a study destination, what motivates him to study what he is going to study, how those studies are going to impact his personal and professional development, and what intentions you have to leave Australia or return to your country of residence once your visa has expired. For the writing of this personal letter, you will have the guidance of the ACE Australia Team to write it. It is written in English by the student as it is a migration requirement, and also because it conveys in the best way your intention to travel and personal motivations both in Australia and when you return to your country of origin. We will emphasize key points, avoiding any type of information that could be misinterpreted by the Immigration Officer according to your temporary stay in Australia.
  • Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE): This is another fundamental document for the Student Visa application. The Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) certifies that the student has been admitted to an academic institution recognized by the Australian government. It is an official document issued by the academic institution in your name and that formally certifies your enrollment as a student, the length of your studies, how much you have paid in advance to the institution, the total amount for the course and medical coverage. This document is submitted in the visa application to the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC): In order to successfully apply for a Student Visa, it is necessary to have health coverage for international students, known as OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover). This coverage is standardized by the Australian Government for the benefit of international students and to ensure they have the same access to healthcare as an Australian. It must cover the entire stay in Australia and is contracted before applying for the visa. We work with all the providers of these health insurances, therefore our team will be able to advise you to find the best option for you. Likewise, as they are standardized, the different providers are very similar in terms of both benefits and prices.

Official information about the Student Visa – Department of Home Affairs: Link

Temporary Graduate Visa

The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) is a work visa for International Students who have completed at least two years of study in Australia and fulfil the Australian Study Requirement. 

With this Visa you would be taking a huge step forward in your professional career. This visa can last between 18 months and 4 years. The benefits of this visa include the ability to work without time restrictions, gain professional experience in Australia, and include members of your family unit, such as your partner. This visa is commonly referred to as a “Post-Study Visa”, but this leads to some confusion as the Post-Study visa is one of the two types of this visa. In the following link you will be able to find on the official page of the Department of Home Affairs of Australia all the relevant information for this visa and its two different types. In addition to this, it is currently being considered to add an extra year of visa to those who study and use this visa in regional areas. We share the official statement in this link and the information on the migration page in this link.

Now we are going to comment on the main characteristics and differences between the two types of Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485), along with their links to the official source.

Temporary Graduate 485 Graduate Work stream Link

This type of visa is aimed at international graduate students with qualifications and skills demanded by the Australian government for its migration plan and aligned with the demand of the labor market. For this type of visa, Trade Certificates, Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas and undergraduate studies are considered. The duration of this visa is usually 18 months.

Temporary Graduate 485 Post-Study Work streamLink

This type of visa is for those studying in Australia for a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s or PhD. It is not a requirement that the study is closely related to a skill in demand in Australia. The duration of the visa will also depend on what has been studied. For Bachelor degree and Masters by coursework, it is 2 years. For Masters by research, it is 3 and for a PhD it is 4.

Useful Information:

  • Student Visa Fee: from $1.680 AUD
  • Nationality: All nationalities, which were previously approved when applying for the Student Visa (which is prior to applying for the Graduate Visa).
  • English Level: you can take as a reference the IELTS exam or equivalent with an overall score of at least 6 (and with a minimum score of 5 for each of the 4 parts of the exam).
  • General requirements: you can obtain it if you have completed your studies in Australia with a minimum Diploma qualification and no more than 6 months must have passed after completing your studies.

Official information about the Temporary Graduate Visa – Department of Home Affairs: Link

Work & Holiday Visa

The Work & Holiday Visa gives you a one-year residence permit in Australia. This allows you to work (for a maximum of 6 months for the same employer) and study at the same time (3 months). Of course, you must bear in mind that it is a Visa that is not available to all nationalities, and even for those who are, places are usually limited. You must be one of the first to request it and meet a series of requirements.

Minimum requirements:

  • Be between 18 and 30 years old.
  • Possess an official English degree.
  • Have economic funds to cover your stay in Australia.
  • Apply from outside
  • Not be accompanied
  • For this visa, the main applicant cannot add other Secondary Applicants (such as a partner, relatives) to the Visa Application unlike the Student Visa.

Useful Information:

  • Student Visa Fee: $495 AUD
  • Countries with limited places: Spain, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Uruguay, Portugal, the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Luxembourg, Poland, the Slovak Republic, San Marino, Turkey and the United States of America.
  • Countries with unlimited places: Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Italy, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden and Canada.
  • Valid English titles to accredit your level:
  • Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) with an average band score of at least 147.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with an average band score of at least 4.5.
  • Band Test of English as a Foreign Language Online (TOEFL iBT) with an average band score of at least 32.
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) band with an average band score of at least 30.

  • English level test exception: you will not need to prove your English level if you have any of the following nationalities: United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland. Checked “you are a citizen of and hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland” link below).

Official information about the Work & Holiday Visa – Department of Home Affairs: Link

Skilled Visa

The Skilled Visa is more a category than a type of Visa because it includes a variety of visas with a common denominator: they are all designed to determine if you have the precise skills that the Australian Government requires for certain professions in the local economy, both at the Federal level as per State & Territory. This category of visas has a longer and slightly more complex application process than the previous ones.

You can apply if you meet the strict requirements of any of the professions on the Australian Skill List. You would also obtain the much desired permanent residence by obtaining a Skilled Visa. To validate if you have a skill demanded by the Australian Government, you must submit a Skill Assessment Application to the Australian Entity that validates that Skill and they give you approval. Each Skill has its Entity, for example, those of Medicine, Engineering, Agro and Environment, and so on. To all this, the Validation of the Skill is not related to Migrations, that is, it is not that when seeking to validate a Skill you have already started a Skilled Visa application, but rather it is something prior. On the other hand, when submitting a Skill Application in Australia there is a pre-selection instance made by the Australian Government itself and they call professionals from that professional area according to a Quota and Demand System of the Australian Economy. This number of quotas varies according to the circumstances. Then the Department of Home Affairs will evaluate and send you what is known as “Expression of Interest” for your professional-personal profile. It is only when this “Expression of Interest” arrives that one is officially applying for the Visa, which can take, in standard times, 9 months to leave.

Putting all issues into consideration, you have:

1) the Skill Assessment process,

2) comply with the Points System for minimum points and the higher the score, the better according to your professional profile (with the Student Visa you can greatly improve your score by studying and improving your professional skills in Australia), and

3) waiting for the so-called “Expression of Interest” from the Department of Home Affairs to just officially apply for the Skilled Visa. In the EOI waiting period, you must have another Visa that allows you to stay in Australia if it is your intention and personal objective.

Minimum requirements:

  • Be under 45 years old.
  • That your profession is on the list of most requested professions in Australia.
  • Have demonstrable work experience in the position you are applying for. Not all professions have the same level of demand when it comes to demonstrating the corresponding work experience and, in turn, the time of delay and approval will depend on the real demand of the Australian Government for these skills. In other words, those applications whose professional skills are most urgently needed will be prioritized.
  • Comply with the requirements demanded by the authority in charge of giving you professional validation. For example, the Entity of Medicine when validating the studies completed, the technical English and the corresponding work internships.

Useful Information:

  • Student Visa Fee: from $3.755 AUD.
  • Nationality: There is no restriction regarding the nationality of the applicant.
  • English level: you will need to have a score of 6 out of 9 in each part of the IELTS General title.

Official information about the Skilled Independence Visa – Department of Home Affairs: Link

Sponsor Visa

Although still known as Sponsors Visa or Sponsorship, this Visa is now called Temporary Skill Shortage Visa. It is a very interesting Visa if you are already in Australia with a previous visa, where you and your employer have created a working relationship appreciated by both.

To obtain it, a company must demonstrate to the Australian Government that it needs to hire international workers based on the professional shortage that may exist in the domestic labor market.

It should be noted that it lasts between 3 and 4 years. It also covers all members of your family and requires the employer to pay a minimum salary of around $50,000 AUD.

Useful Information:

  • Price: from $1,265 AUD.
  • Nationality: There is no restriction on the applicant’s nationality.
  • English level: you will need to have a score of 6 out of 9 in each part of the IELTS General qualification.

Official information about Visa Sponsors – Department of Home Affairs: Link

As educational agents, qualified with the Australian Government. At ACE Australia we advise you and help you obtain the Visa that best suits your plans. We evaluate your profile and complete all the essential steps for the preparation and presentation of your Visa application.

For more information consult the website of the Department of Home Affairs or contact us to start your process today. Take a step forward in your future in Australia and get ready to #LiveTheExperience.

Learn from those who chose our Team to live this fantastic Experience

Let’s start to get to know each other 🙂
Tell us about your interests and goals. Take the first step and we will accompany you the rest of your way.