LIVING, WORKING AND STUDYING IN GOLD COAST
LIVING, WORKING AND STUDYING IN GOLD COAST
Living, working and studying in another country is a challenge, either for a certain period of time or on a permanent basis. The decision can be scary, but once you take the first step, adventures follow! And what better if the city you choose as your destination is one of the best in the world to do so.
Today we want to tell you about Gold Coast, one of the main tourist cities in Australia. The main attraction of Australia’s seventh largest city is undoubtedly the enormous number of beaches that stretch for more than 60 kilometers. And also its fantastic subtropical climate!
Gold Coast is located on the east coast of Australia and is part of the State of Queensland, 70 km south of the city of Brisbane and 850 km north of Sydney. In the perfect place to live your adventure and get out and explore Australia!
What is life like on the Gold Coast?
Life on the Gold Coast is wonderful! You will be able to enjoy pleasant weather almost all year round. With its climate you can have around 245 sunny days a year. The average temperature in summer (from December to February) is 25ºC. The atmosphere is somewhat humid but is compensated by the cool sea breeze. In winter the average temperature is about 16ºC, with a cool and dry environment.
The most popular neighborhoods are Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach. They are also the neighborhoods with the most tourist offer in terms of hotels, restaurants, stores, etc.
Gold Coast is the favorite destination for most international students, and the millions of tourists who come each year, for the simple reason that it is the perfect city to learn and practice surfing. If your idea is to go to Australia to become a surfer, this is the ideal place.
Life in Gold Coast is better if you have people who speak the same language as you, there are many Spanish speakers, so if your English is not very good, you don’t have to worry, it is only a matter of time and you will meet someone who speaks the same language as you.
Being a seasonal city where the main economic engine is tourism, job offers decrease in the winter months. If you want to come to the Gold Coast we recommend that you come in the spring/summer season. So you won’t have to worry about finding a job if you want to live on the Gold Coast!
In addition, with our totally free support you will be able to plan your life on the Gold Coast from start to finish.
Transportation in Gold Coast.
Transportation in Gold Coast is divided into streetcar, train and bus, the card you will need to use is the Go Card to use the transport and get to your destination without any problem in the city.
A trip costs around $3 AUD and the streetcar usually runs along the entire coast. However, if you want to get to more distant neighborhoods, you may have to take the bus.
Anyway, transportation in Gold Coast works great, it is also important to mention that many people prefer to move around the city walking or cycling, as the weather and the environment in Gold Coast is perfect to do so, you choose!
Accommodation in Gold Coast.
The cost of living in Gold Coast is a little cheaper than in other Australian cities such as Sydney or Melbourne. For example, in a good neighborhood like Broadbeach it will cost you a week’s room rental between $150 and $200 AUD.
It is true that, if you go a little further away from the center, you will find better quality and cheaper accommodations, but there is not as big a difference as in other cities. Also keep in mind that the price of housing increases when you have an ocean view, although perhaps this is something you want without a doubt, below we share with you some references of some neighborhoods where you can live in Gold Coast:
- Surfers Paradise: Here you will find one of the most famous beaches in the city, even in the whole country. It is one of the most central neighborhoods of the Gold Coast, the core of the city. Today, this neighborhood is full of job opportunities in hotels, stores… It has become the epicenter for young people who travel without hesitation to this destination in search of a little piece of paradise. The contrast of its nightlife, its nightclubs, with its quiet areas between the canals (Peninsular Drive, Chevron Island or Capri Island) make this neighborhood one of the frequent destinations for anyone who wants to live the experience to the fullest. But don’t be fooled by its name. If you like surfing, choose another neighborhood.
- Broadbeach: A multitude of hotels, restaurants, stores, pubs, countless cafes with their terraces under the sun and a magnificent park with BBQs that extends along the beach, characterize Broadbeach. With countless areas for outdoor sports, public showers and sports facilities, you won’t miss surfing at any time in this neighborhood.
- Burleigh Heads: If you choose Burleigh Heads as your destination, you will see that the number of tourists in this area is considerably lower than in the other Gold Coast neighborhoods mentioned above. This area is also ideal for wave addicts. So, if you prefer to end up exhausted after a good surfing session instead of spending the night dancing in the best clubs, write down Burleigh Heads as one of your favorite options.
- Coolangatta: This COOL neighborhood located south of Gold Coast is one of the best areas to live if you are an unconditional lover of surfing. This area concentrates the best waves not only in Australia, but in the whole world! Beaches like Kirra, Rainbow Bay, Duranbah or Snapper Rocks are waiting for you, ready to amaze you with the waves they have to offer. Tourism is also one of the main engines of the area, so hospitality, stores, hotels and all kinds of jobs for young people are relatively easy to get in this neighborhood of Gold Coast.
What to do in Gold Coast?
If you decide to live in Gold Coast, the best plan is to go to the beach. In fact, Gold Coast has more than 60 km of coastline, so every day, you can get to know a different piece of sea. In addition, you also have incredible events such as surfing championships, marathons and even car races! But to let you know what you can do and what you should not miss, here are some of the things you can do in Gold Coast.
- Miami Marketta: One of the Gold Coast’s most European alternatives, highly recommended for when you start to miss home or eating something other than fish and chips and meat pies: the Miami Marketta. Live music, food and drinks, young people, perfect for making friends and socializing. Open Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary: In Un Salto a Australia we don’t like places where animals are used as tourist attractions, but the truth is that in Gold Coast you can find the Currumbin Wildlife Sancturary, an animal sanctuary where you can meet a great variety of Australian fauna. Here they work on the rehabilitation and conservation of Australian species.
- Natural parks: From Burleigh Heads National Park to Springbrook National Park, on the Gold Coast you can find plenty of green spaces where you can spend the day. Lamington National Park and Tamborine National Park are two other natural parks you can’t miss.
- Surfers Paradise nightlife: For those looking to party as soon as they arrive in Australia, Surfers Paradise is the answer to all your questions. All the action of this city is concentrated in the streets of Surfers, so take a stroll through the most central neighborhood of the Gold Coast almost any night of the week and I assure you that you will find plans.
- Sky point: It is a place from where you will have a panoramic view of the city of Gold Coast that you will never forget. If you want to go, go to the Q1 building in Surfers Paradise and go up to the 77th floor. It’s amazing!
- Coombabah National Park: It is a natural park very close to the city where you can see kangaroos and koalas in freedom. Kangaroos are everywhere, and if it’s your first time, it will be an unforgettable experience!
- The beaches: And of course, the Gold Coast’s #1 attraction. Surfers Paradise, full of people, stores, tourists. Burleigh Heads, with the skyscrapers in the distance and its waves full of surfers at sunset. Or Tallebudgera Creek, with its peace and crystal clear waters. And these are only 3, you have 60 km of beaches to discover!
Now that we have a clearer idea of what the experience of living on the Gold Coast is like, we want to share with you some important aspects when thinking about living and studying on the Gold Coast.
Study in Gold Coast.
Gold Coast is the perfect destination to study while enjoying the wonders of Australia’s scenery. In addition, lately many international students choose to do their studies in the Gold Coast, because it went from being a main city to being a regional city, which means that just by living and studying in Gold Coast, the Australian Government will give you more points to make the process of permanent residence in this country.
In Gold Coast you will find different education options. Courses offered include General English, English for Academic Purposes, and exam preparation programs such as IELTS, Cambridge or TOEFL. These courses can be taken full or part time.
What requirements do I need to study in Gold Coast?
These are the main requirements that you must take into account if you wish to obtain a visa in Australia, and with it be able to live and study in Gold Coast.
- You must be at least 16 years old to study and 18 years old to work.
- To have a valid passport.
- You must be enrolled in an educational institution, either a language school or university.
- You will be asked for medical tests or vaccinations depending on your country of origin.
- You must have international medical insurance.
- You must have proof of financial solvency.
- If you wish to attend a VET or university vocational program, you must have an English proficiency test result, e.g., IELTS or TOEFL.
- You will need to write a letter of motivation, stating your reasons for wanting to study in Australia.
Courses and programs to study in Gold Coast.
Did you know that in January 2022 the city of Gold Coast received more than 10,700 international students, mainly from countries such as Brazil, India, China, Colombia, Japan and Canada, enrolled in Gold Coast vocational courses or VET (Vocational Education Training), higher education programs, schools and intensive English courses or ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students).
Below we would like to give you some study options to consider:
Intensive English courses
This type of course is designed for the student to learn English in a very short time, and focuses on the four communication skills: writing, reading, speaking and listening. Generally, the time available for these courses ranges from a minimum of 2 weeks to a maximum of 3 months.
Studying a general English course in Australia will prepare you to speak, write, read and listen to basic English. These courses must have a minimum duration of 12 weeks (3 months) and a maximum duration of 52 weeks.
The number of class hours is 20 per week and you can choose a morning or afternoon schedule at your convenience. If it is a long course, you usually upgrade every 12 weeks, and you can enjoy from 2 to 4 weeks of vacation, always depending on the length of the course.
Advanced English – Cambridge, IELTS exams
If you already have a basic knowledge of English and want to improve it to accredit your level, these courses are ideal to prepare you in a short period of time. The IELTS exam is an academic exam similar to the TOEFL in other countries and the Cambridge exam is a bit more oriented to improve your conversational level.
Vocational courses, or ‘VET’ as they are called in Australia, are technical courses that have been created to help you acquire greater skills, abilities and practical tools in the study of specific occupations.
These courses have a minimum duration of 6 months and require you to attend class 2 to 3 times per week.
Study a TAFE course
TAFE (Technical and Further Education) courses are similar to VET, but of higher quality. These courses require an advanced level of English and can be quite expensive depending on the area of focus.
Studying at the university
Australia has hundreds of universities that are recognized worldwide for their high quality academic training. There are several options for those who decide to study a university career in Australia, you can choose to study undergraduate, postgraduate or master’s degrees; the cost will depend on the career you choose.
There are few universities on the Gold Coast, but each one of them is highly recognized and has a high academic level. Among them are:
- Griffith University
- Bond University
- Southern Cross University
These are just some of the options, if you want to know more options we leave you this link where you can see more detailed information about studying in Gold Coast.
Now, an important issue when thinking about living in Gold Coast is to take into account the job possibilities in this incredible city of Australia.
Working on the Gold Coast.
If you are wondering, is it possible to work on the Gold Coast? the answer is yes! this incredible beach and surf city in Australia is a tourist destination for thousands of foreigners and even a tourist destination for the Australian inhabitants themselves, which is why most of the job offers you can find are related to the tourism sector.
There are part-time jobs for international students including: shopping malls, stores, cafes, bars and restaurants, hotels, construction, cleaning, etc. Remember that with the student visa you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight and unlimited hours during the holiday period.
At ACE Australia we have created a list of jobs that you could apply for once you arrive in the amazing city of Gold Coast. Here are some of the most popular jobs for international students, there are sure to be many more, it’s just a matter of having a clear goal and being focused on having the best experience on the Gold Coast.
This job is very popular with students new to Australia, as the level of English they ask for is very low, and in some cases they don’t ask for any English at all.
There are different types of cleaning, the most common are office cleaning, family house cleaning, and construction cleaning. The average hourly wage of a “cleaner” is between 25 and 30 AUD.
Another job that international students do a lot of on the Gold Coast is catering. The most common companies to sign up for and create an account with are: Uber Eats and Deliveroo.
Payment for a delivery depends on the distance you travel between the restaurant and the place where the order is to be delivered. Generally in a peak hour you can earn up to 25 AUD per hour.
Working in hospitality on the Gold Coast will be very enjoyable, as you will make new friends and enjoy the nightlife this city has to offer. The most common vacancies in restaurants and bars are as follows:
- Runner (carrying plates to the tables)
- Barista (expert in the preparation of coffees and teas)
- Waiter (the waiter or waitress who takes orders)
- Kitchen hand (kitchen assistant)
- Nanny or babysitter
If you are passionate about working with children, there are several companies on the Gold Coast that will help you find a family to care for your children. The most requested schedule for parents is before and after school, which is perfect if you are going to live and study on the Gold Coast, because it fits easily into your main project.
The salary depends a lot on your experience with children and the economic capacity of the family that hires you. The average hourly rate is between 22 and 27 AUD.
This job consists of delivering advertising on the streets of the Gold Coast. Payment will be based on the number of flyers you deliver during your workday. In addition to Flyers, you can also hand out free newspapers in different parts of the city.
If you are near a rural area of the Gold Coast, there is a good chance that you can find work as a fruit picker. In Australia there are a variety of farms that are always in need of personnel to do this work. If you are fast, you will get paid more, as they usually pay by the kilos of fruit picked.
How to look for a job in Gold Coast?
Remember that the first thing you should do is to create your resume or curriculum vitae. Focus on the experience you have from your country, and start the search! There are many ways to do this, one of them is to print several times your resume and distribute it around the city, another way is to explore job sites on the internet such as Linkedin.
With ACE Australia you can experience living and working on the Gold Coast.
Gold Coast is, without a doubt, the perfect place to do your studies in Australia. We will help you organize all the necessary documentation to embark on this adventure in the land of koalas and kangaroos. Get ready! All you have to do is take the first step, we’ll be with you the rest of the way.
Why choose us?
- We advise you from start to finish.
- We create your personalized roadmap at no additional cost.
- We have agreements with universities and institutes in Australia.
- We help you to enroll and process your visa.
- We will share with you exclusive promotions and scholarships.
Gold Coast is waiting for you, join the experience and fulfill your dream of living and studying in this great city!